Imagine going through minds of professional bloggers (and thinkers). What would we find? Let’s have a bit of fun, shall we?
What does ‘blogging’ mean to you?
- I believe the term “blog” means more than an online journal. I believe a blog is a conversation. People go to blogs to read AND write, not just consume. Michael Arrington
- Blogging is using a new medium for what it is good for – connecting and interacting. George Siemens
- Yes, blogging is entertainment. It is performance. Each blog post a show, sometimes an opera, sometimes a 30 second commercial. Like a show, it may start with a bang, lead you along from song to song, have a great climatic moment, then leave the audience wanting more. Lorelle Van Fossen
- A blog is merely a tool that lets you do anything from change the world to share your shopping list. Unknown
- Blogs are whatever we make them. Defining “Blog” is a fool’s errand. Michael Conniff
What’s a single important decision to make when you are thinking of starting a blog?
- The first thing you need to decide when you build your blog is what you want to accomplish with it, and what it can do if successful. ~ Ron Dawson
What can you write in your blog?
- Your blog is what you say when there is nobody standing over your shoulder telling you what to do. Lorelle V Fossen
- The personal nature of the blog is what they find appealing. Ethan G. Salwen
- Your blog is your unedited version of yourself. Lorelle V Fossen
- The casual conversational tone of a blog is what makes it particularly dangerous. Daniel B. Beaulieu
Why do readers subscribe to blogs? What makes a blog ‘successful’?
- Bottom line of a successful blog is what else but solid contents. Partha Bhattacharya
- Readers subscribe to blogs when they provide an informational or entertainment value so great that it would be a loss to not subscribe to it. Maki
- Not only are bloggers suckers for the remarkable, so are the people who read blogs. Seth Godin
- Don’t focus on having a great blog. Focus on producing a blog that’s great for your readers. Brian Clark
How important is to establish any relationship with your readers?
- A blog is in many ways a continuing conversation. Andrew Sullivan
- As I have repeatedly written in one form or other, blogging is not about writing posts. Heck, that’s the least of your challenges. No, blogging is about cultivating a mutually beneficial relationships with an ever-growing online readership, and that’s hard work. Alister Cameron
- Blogging is a conversation not a code. Mike Butcher
Is linking to other blogs important?
Link to your enemies. Link to your competitors. Link to everyone. Instead of being sticky, be linky. Robert Scoble
- The heart of blogging is linking…linking and commenting. Connecting and communicating – the purpose of the Internet. George Siemens
- Unless you restrict your reading habits to a really small segment of the blogging population, or you are a blogging machine like Robert Scoble, a feed reader is only going to give you a small window of what is happening in the blogosphere. Andy Beard
How can we become better bloggers? Any tips?
- Blogging is best learned by blogging…and by reading other bloggers. George Siemens
- Blogging is an art, same as any other method of self-expression. Some are better at it than others. Hugh Macleod
Why do writers in particular enjoy blogging so much?
- I think the pleasure of completed work is what makes blogging so popular. You have to believe most bloggers have few if any actual readers. The writers are in it for other reasons. Blogging is like work, but without coworkers thwarting you at every turn. All you get is the pleasure of a completed task. Scott Adams
- And it occurred to me that there is no such thing as blogging. There is no such thing as a blogger. Blogging is just writing — writing using a particularly efficient type of publishing technology. Simon Dumenco.
- I realised that blogging is in itself another form of creative writing. Unknown
What can blogging do for you – professionally speaking?
- Blogging is good for your career. A well-executed blog sets you apart as an expert in your field. Penelope Trunk
Why do some people say blogging is hard work?
- Blogging is hard because of the grind required to stay interesting and relevant. Sufia Tippu
- Blogging is not rocket science, it’s about being yourself, and putting what you have into it. Unknown
What is the most important lesson you have learnt while blogging? I am happy to learn from the best. If you want to join me, subscribe to my blog. All are welcome! 🙂